Ransomware is one of the most effective ways to attack businesses and individuals. Targeted ransomware attacks can take many forms. Because new variants emerge daily, this type of malware remains one of the major security threats and is a top cyber security trend to watch out for in 2023!
Tactics and techniques used by hackers
Ransomware attacks often begin with a phishing email or malicious attachment that the victim unwittingly opens. Once the malware is installed, it spreads throughout the victim’s device or network, encrypting files and demanding payment. Attackers may also use other tactics, such as exploiting vulnerabilities in software or using brute force attacks to gain access to a victim’s system.
Cyber security professionals play a crucial role in detecting and responding to ransomware attacks. They are responsible for monitoring networks and devices for suspicious activity and implementing measures to prevent and mitigate the impact of attacks on the business. One of the key responsibilities of cyber security professionals is to detect these types of attacks as soon as possible.
Cyber security professionals can implement these steps to prevent ransomware attacks:
- Monitoring all networks and devices for unusual activity, such as a sudden increase in encrypted files or unusual network traffic.
- Conducting regular security assessments to identify vulnerabilities in the system and address them before attackers exploit them.
- Implementing preventative measures such as installing anti-malware software, firewalls, and intrusion detection systems to reduce the likelihood of a ransomware attack.
- Creating awareness by training employees on how to identify and avoid phishing attacks, suspicious emails and other social engineering tactics that attackers use to distribute ransomware.
- Responding quickly to incidents to contain the damage and prevent the spread of malware. This may involve isolating infected systems, shutting down infected servers, and restoring data from backups.
Cyber security professionals can investigate an attack to determine the scope of the damage, identify the attackers, and gather evidence that can be used to prosecute them.
Ransomware attacks can have devastating consequences for individuals and organisations, and cyber security professionals play a critical role in mitigating their impact. By implementing preventative measures, conducting regular security assessments, training employees, responding to incidents, and investigating attacks, cyber security professionals can help protect organisations from the damaging effects of a ransomware attack.
How can Forus-P help?
It is important to prioritise cyber security. We can support you with preventing these kinds of malicious attacks. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help secure your business.